Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Adventures in Paleo Baking



My baby is turning 1 in just a few weeks and so I wanted to try to make her a paleo birthday cake. I've had good success with banana and blueberry muffins so I decided to try a strawberry muffin with coconut cream frosting. 

I started with this recipe for blueberry muffins and substituted chunks of fresh strawberry for the blueberries:
http://livinghealthywithchocolate.com/desserts/paleo-blueberry-muffin-grain-free-gluten-free-low-carb-997/

For the frosting I mixed the solid cream from the top of the can of coconut milk with some honey and vanilla.

Overall they were pretty tasty but there are a few things that I will change for my next attempt, first use almond flour instead of meal to give a better texture, these had the texture of a corn muffin. Second, I'd like to try a cinnamon apple flavor as the strawberry flavor just didn't come through. Third, I would put less vanilla (perhaps none) in the frosting.

Caroline had fun smashing it but wasn't so into eating it. She's not used to super sweet foods or baked goods. It was pretty fun to watch her explore though.


No comments:

Post a Comment