Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

I love steel cut oats, especially on morning when I plan to run or be super active.  I love the taste and texture but I do not love how long they take to make or the mess in the pan afterward.  I've read a few posts about making oats in the crockpot and have been intrigued but still concerned about the huge mess that will be left in the crockpot and how well the oats will reheat.  The first recipe I came across was from Roni at Greenlitebites, the plan seemed simple but you still have a mess to deal with.  Well, I was reading through the comments and found a link to the double boiler method.  It seemed genius!  I got out my slow cooker and then began searching my cupboards for a bowl small enough to fit in my slow cooker and yet large enough to hold the oats and water.  I found a glass pyrex dish that fit perfectly.  I added my oats and water to the pyrex bowl per the package instructions, set it in the slow cooker and then began to fill the slow cooker with water and put the lid on the entire thing.  I set the temperature to low and went to bed.  The next morning I had an amazing bowl of oats waiting for me.  I divided it into fourths which gave the husband and I each a serving for that day and the next day and added my brown sugar and cinnamon.  The texture was much smoother and creamier than when I make them on the stove top and I really enjoyed them. 

This morning we ate the leftovers and all I did was add a splash of water to the bowl and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes and then stirred them up.  I was shocked at how easy and tasty it was.  I didn't even need to wash the slow cooker since it just had water in it and my pyrex bowl fits nicely into the dishwasher.  I  will definitely be doing this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment