Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

What a sad/joyous/bittersweet weekend. Let me explain, this weekend was the final graduation ceremony for my alma mater. Cascade College, a tiny school in Portland, OR has closed it's doors after 15 years of educating students. I attended Cascade from 2000-2003 and then taught there as an adjunct faculty member from 2006 until today. While I was there I met my 7 best friends ever, learned how to trust in God and was baptized there, I learned how to live up to my potential, I just had a great time! I can't imagine where I would be today without Cascade. Well, Cascade didn't survive the economic crisis and they have closed the doors. This past weekend they had the final graduating class, 69 students, the largest graduating class ever (mine was 49 people)! That's right only 69 students, now, multiply by 4 and you've got the size of the school - around 280. For the final graduation they had a lot of festivities and all of my friends were back together again. We get together at weddings but this was special because of the location. We actually took a picture in the same spot and order that we did 6 years ago! It was amazing and I got to participate as faculty with my robes on and everything. I laughed, I cried and now I just don't know what I'll do knowing that I can't go back. I always thought that someday I'd get to work there full-time. Such a strange feeling.

Anyway, one of the Mag 7 had a baby 2 weeks ago so it was awesome to see him. He is the first baby in our group. So many changes! My husband came with me to Portland and I think we did alright food wise, I haven't put it into the food tracker but I did write it all down. I won't have a loss this week but I shouldn't have a huge gain either so that's good.

I feel really scattered writing this, like there are so many emotions inside me and I'm just trying to get them all out on the page. Forgive me if it's hard to follow my thoughts.

Anyway, today was the first day that I've managed to stay within my goal for sodium (oh, shoot, I just realized that I didn't log the Diet Coke I drank, guess I didn't make the sodium goal). Okay, well, I stayed in my calorie range yesterday and today which feels good and tonight I'm heading to the gym to walk/jog and watch the biggest loser.

I'm also making some progress on my dissertation. On the flight to Portland I had a nice talk with the husband about my dissertation, he makes a great sounding board. I should really use him more often :)

Life is Good...that's all there is to it I'm sad that Cascade has closed but I'm so very thankful that it was there when I needed it most and I'm so very thankful and grateful for the amazing friendships that I have as a result of attending Cascade. I'll always think fondly of that little "Northwest corner of heaven" and know that it lives on in the lives of those who were forever changed by their time there.

And, now, I'm tearing up so I'm going to go and get ready for the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment