Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Making Baby Food!



I decided before I had a baby that I would make all of my own baby food. I had visions of steaming veggies and then pureeing them in my Magic Bullet, freezing them in little containers and having a baby that opened wide and ate all of those purees. Well, I did steam veggies and put them in cute little containers but my baby never really took to eating them. At best she would eat about half an ounce of avocado, she never took to sweet potato, butternut squash, banana, peach, or sweet peas. So sad! We have all of these baby spoons but our baby wants nothing to do with them.

So, what are you to do when your baby has no teeth but doesn't want mushy food? You start looking for real food that you can give her that doesn't scare the bejeebus out of your husband who worries that she is going to choke on everything! We started with banana which seemed a natural choice. I was eating one for breakfast and held it up to her and she gnawed on it a bit so I broke off a large chunk and she chewed it until it turned into a slimy mess. Next we tried hard boiled egg yolk, she put a little in her mouth but mostly just smooshed it in her hands. At a restaurant we got a baked sweet potato and I scooped some out and put it on the table in front of her and she put fist fulls into her mouth. We've given her green beans and she gnaws on them a bit. Our most successful attempt has been with freeze dried fruit. She doesn't really eat them but she does sort of suck on them until they are completely mushy and then pushes them out of her mouth.

At this point she isn't actually eating more than one or two bites at a feeding but she's getting lots of practice at feeding herself. We will keep trying and hopefully in the next few months she'll get the hang of swallowing her food and not just spitting it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment