Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Simpler Holiday Season

The holiday season is upon us and it is really easy to get wrapped up in the stuff and the to-do's, so much so that you forget to sit back and enjoy what the season is really all about. This year was the first year that I skipped the crazy black Friday shopping. I just couldn't bring myself to shop on Thanksgiving day or even get up early the day after. Instead we spent time together as a family until Daddy had to head in for a little work and baby and I needed to get out of the house so we went to Target to pick up some things we needed and to see if I could find her a present or two for her very first Christmas. I've always enjoyed shopping and black Friday has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember. However, this year I've learned that I already have the best gift ever! I have a loving husband and a beautiful little girl. What more could I ask for? Sure, I'd like a Sodastream or a new vacuum but this year we are living simply. We are embracing life and learning to take joy in the simple everyday gifts rather than rely on the extravagance and material possessions to bring us momentary glimpses of happiness.

For our baby's first Christmas we bought her two toys and my husband and I each bought ourselves one thing that we wanted. We put up our Christmas tree and stockings but passed on all of the other decorations and lights. We will not be doing elf on a shelf or other Pinterest worthy activities. We'll bake a few batches of cookies while we are at Grandma's house but other than that we are cutting back and soaking up our time together, trying not to over commit ourselves to parties and activities. Our big purchase this Christmas has been plane tickets to go and visit my husband's family in Ohio and my family in California.

It may not be for everyone but I think a simpler holiday season is just what we needed this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment