Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

On Finding Balance

My baby is almost 10 weeks old, how did that happen? I've also know completed my third week of being back to work part time. I love being home with my little girl and being her primary care giver but I love my stats class and my interactions with students (I do not love my online theory class, but that's a story for another day). The thing is, when I'm in class I miss my baby and when I'm home all day I miss work. I was talking with my fellow professor moms and we agreed that we want to be awesome stay at home moms and awesome professors teaching and doing research. We want to have it all! I'm getting close to that goal but I'm not quite there.

A few weeks ago I found out that the daycare where we are on the waiting list had a Tuesday/Thursday spot open up and it was offered to me. I debated long and hard before turning it down. I thought it might be nice to have some time to go into the office before class and be able to grocery shop without the baby. But, in the end I couldn't do it. The husband confessed that he looked forward to spending my class time playing with her and since his boss is awesome he's able to take 2 hours off in the middle of the day two days a week while I teach. And while week one was rough in weeks two I felt like we hit our groove.

I am so thankful to have a career where I have these choices. I am also thankful that I questioned the maternity leave policy and that I got it in writing! My goal this semester is to cherish this time at home with my baby and savor the semester where I can focus on just one class because next semester things are going to get real. I'll be back to a full load, actually an overload as I'll teach a January intensive course in Dallas the week before the semester begins. Caroline will have to go to daycare for at least a few hours a day and we'll find a new groove!






















No comments:

Post a Comment