Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

The Myth of Summer as a University Faculty Member

So, when I first found out that we were expecting and that my due date would be late June I was super excited. I thought, if I can just make it through the semester then I'll have about 6 weeks off before the baby comes. I don't know what I was thinking as that clearly isn't happening. Here I sit in my office trying to get research and course prep done before baby makes her appearance. I feel busier now than I did during the regular semester when I was teaching four classes!

How do I not remember this from last year? I remember moving offices (doing that again this year) and traveling for conferences and traveling for fun but I just don't remember doing so much work. I guess that I need to learn to say "no" in the future. The problem is that I enjoy all of the things that I do, there are a few things that I hate (such as moving offices) but otherwise I really don't want to give up anything. This means that I really need to find a way to make it all work I suppose. Maybe I just need to agree to things that don't all have the same due dates :) That might be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment