Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

A Month of Not-So-Paleo Eating

After coming home from the marathon over Spring Break (I'll post on that eventually but you can see all of the pictures on my Facebook page) I haven't been able to get the grains and sugar back out of my diet. I've managed to go about 3 days at most. Thankfully my weight has pretty well held steady during this time just going up and down by about 3 pounds.

Right now I'm on a mini vacation while the husband is working a softball tournament and I've been going on a culinary tour of the little city where we are staying. It's been tasty but it's all going to have to end soon.

My main struggle with eating paleo has been eating out. I can generally find something low carb on the menu wherever we go, but that's not the same thing as eating paleo or primal. We probably go out to eat more than we should but I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up. There are several reasons, one is that I hate my kitchen. I dread having to cook in there. It is amazing how much you really need countertops next to the stove and how frustrating it is when you don't have counter space. Second, I am exhausted when I get home and really don't want to cook. Lame, I know, I should utilize the crockpot and such but I don't because I'm not in planning mode. Third, my stomach has been killing me lately! All of the stress I've been under for the last month has led to the production of excess acid which has led to feeling like my heart is going to explode even while taking two nexium and a zantac every day. While I know intellectually that eating better will help with this last complaint, I just can't get my body to cooperate.

With all of these excuses, let's call them what they are, they will be gone soon! We close on our new house in just 4 days and then we move in one month later and the kitchen in my new home is light and airy and open to the living room. So excited! Also, school is almost done for the year. I just have to grade final exams and then submit my final grades and it's over, my research papers are due the following week and the home buying process will be over by then as well. All of the current stressors will be coming to an end soonand while I know that new stress will come up I'm hopeful that I will not be challenged in quite the same way next year!

I guess all of this is to say that while I haven't been focusing on my health this past month I haven't given up on living a primal life. I truly believe it's the best way to live and am looking forward to giving it 100% beginning on Monday morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment