Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

A Paleolithic Update

One of my 12 goals for the year was to go paleo, to attempt to eat like a cavewoman. So, how's that working out? Very well, thanks for asking! I have been living a primarily starch-free, dairy-free, legume-free life for over two months and I feel terrific. I also recently gave up soda for the lenten season which means I've cut out artificial sweeteners almost entirely as well. Since the New Year I have lost 13 pounds, my clothes are fitting better and I'm no longer getting the crazy sugar highs and lows.

One of the biggest comments I get from those around me is "so, what do you eat?" Well, a typical day of food starts with a frozen strawberry, pineapple and coconut milk smoothie. Today I put some orange flavored fish oil in it which sounds disgusting but it really has no flavor at all, high quality fish oil is expensive but it doesn't give you the nasty fish burps. For lunch I have a few hard boiled eggs, carrots and celery, an apple with some almond butter, an orange or other fruit and maybe some cashews or a Lara bar. I usually spread my lunch items out over the course of a few hours. For dinner I have a little more variety, last night we had salad with meatloaf. Sometimes we have chicken breasts cooked in bacon grease or perhaps an omelet with veggies and bacon or sausage. All of our food is organic and our meat and eggs are grass-fed and/or free-range. I drink a lot of water and unsweetened iced tea throughout my day and a lot of times I end my day with some dried fruit for a bit of sweetness. So, basically, I eat normal foods that most people eat but I leave out the extra filler.

Some interesting things that I've made recently have been some banana muffins (using almond flour and super sweet bananas), strawberry coconut ice cream, and almond chocolate chip "cookies." It's been fun experimenting with my food again.

I'll be honest, I have eaten some non-paleo foods in the last 2 months including ice cream (my biggest weakness), pizza, and a McD's burger and I do notice a difference. When I eat sugary, dairy laden, gluten-filled foods I feel sick and yucky so I try not to eat them.

In addition to eating a different way I've also been trying to get enough sleep. There is no such things as going to bed too early. I'd like to get to a point where I can go to sleep and wake up naturally with no alarm. I managed to do it last night by going to bed around 9:30 and waking up just before 7 this morning. That's a lot of sleep but I must have needed it :)

My next step is to work on the work outs. I've been "training" for my marathon and so my focus has been running and cardio. My next fitness goal is going to be to do a real push up, on my toes and not my knees. I'd also like to do a pull-up some day. I'll still run but I'm going to focus on shorter distances like 5k's and only one half marathon this year.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment