Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

This has been one of the worst days I've had in a long time! Yesterday I worked for 10 hours on my dissertation, I interpreted at least 20 tables and felt really good about my progress. I got up at 6 am this morning and ran 16 new analyses, created a table and wrote up the results. I was just moving on to chapter 5 when I decided to go to Starbucks. I clicked the "safely remove hardware" button to remove my flash drive and it said I couldn't take it out because it was working, so, I waited a few minutes and then tried again. My computer said it was safe, my computer lied to me. I went to Starbucks, ordered my beverage and opened up my laptop. When I clicked on my document an error came up. OH NO!!!!! The file has been corrupted, it asks if I want to try and recover it, I click yes, of course. NOOOOOOOOO!!! Not an option. It is irretrievable. I called my husband, left Starbuck's and started crying. This was 9am. My husband tried to open it on his computer, we e-mailed to his techie dad. No luck. It's gone.

Now for the good news, I saved a separate copy on Monday afternoon. I have lost 10 hours of work, everything that I did in the last 24 hours is gone. I'm not sure why or how but I do know that it sucks and it still brings tears to my eyes. I had hoped that by this time today I'd be clicking send and e-mailing my entire dissertation to my major professor before he hops a plan tomorrow morning. Now, I can't stop crying and I've been reading archived blogs for the last 3 hours. I haven't even eaten yet, I just got home and put on my PJ's. I didn't even drink my coffee, I gave it to my husband.

I know that I should snap out of it and get to work that it should go quicker the second time around but I just can't do it right now. I want to continue my pity party for just a bit longer - even the sky is crying for me and I can't believe it but some massive thunder just sounded, see, even the sky is angry at my computer. Or, is God telling me to get off my a$$ and get to work? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment