Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Half-Marathon Training

Okay, so, now with all of the updates out of the way here is what I really want to talk about: training. I am signed up for several events this fall that require lots of training. The first is a half-marathon. I'd like to complete the Long Beach half-marathon in 2 hours and 30 minutes. It took me 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete the Indy 500 mini. Terrible, I was basically hobbling over the finish line because I hadn't been training properly. This time I want to do it right. So, I am going to run 3 miles 3 days a week and have a long run on Saturday that starts with 4 miles and each week I'll increase the long run until it is 13 or 14 miles. I need to pay extra attention to my hips and knees to make sure that I don't have an injury flare up.

The second event that I am training for is the Breast Cancer 3-day in San Diego in November. In this event I will walk 60 miles over the course of three days. I'm very excited about it and am particularly happy that I won't have to do it alone this year. I'm not sure how to fit in the walking and running but I think that if I train for the half-marathon with a few long walking hikes thrown in I should be okay. I'll talk to the track coach about that to see if he has any advice. I really need to get some running shoes but am short on cash so I hope to get a few bucks for my birthday so that I can go to the running store. I also need walking shoes as well. Goodness, this is all so expensive!

My ultimate goal is to be in a place where people think of me when they are putting together a relay team, I'd like for my running friends to think "we need another team member, do you think Suzie would do it?" and not laugh :) I want to be a runner and while I will never be fast I want people to take my running seriously. Right now I often feel like they are thinking "yeah, right, she didn't really run a half-marathon!" Wow, that's pathetic! I doubt my friends think that at all, if they do they aren't very good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment